Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Week 6: Social Group Dynamics, Influence, Obedience, Conformity, Influence and the Media

C&S: Altheide 422-436, BB: Revisiting The Stanford Prison Experiment – Zimbardo, Behavioral Study of Obedience – Milgram

In both The Stanford Prison Experiment and Milgram’s Behavioral Study of Obedience, people committed heinous acts or potentially heinous acts. They almost unquestioningly conformed to what was asked and expected of them, despite the consequences that may ensue. They were obedient to what was asked of them by authority figures. These experiments shocked the world. With proper instruction from a person who appears to be in a position of authority, people were willing to severely harm or kill others. There is the diffusion of responsibility—if something goes wrong, the authority figure may be held responsible. Also, there is the trust in the authority figure that he knows what is going on and it can be assumed that his judgment is more accurate and knowledgeable.

These experiments cause us to stop and think and remind us that we must think critically and independently. Though no physical harm was inflicted upon the subjects of Milgram’s experiment, there was severe emotional distress and the potential to kill people (if the shocks really were administered to someone). It serves as a warning as to how we may be influenced by authority and obedience. “Consuming Terrorism” discusses how politicians use fear and the media to influence people. How often do we take information for granted and leave it unquestioned? I know I have used the excuses before that “I am just going off of what I heard” or “I heard it on the news, so it must be correct” or “I’m just doing as I was instructed.” These excuses are meant to take any potential blame away from myself. Instead of responding this way, however, it would be more productive for me to critically think before acting so that I may properly know what I am doing and can take responsibility for it.


Both of these are reflected in the incidents of torture that occurred at the prison in Guantanamo Bay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO-eFPE-vw8

No comments:

Post a Comment