Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Week 14- Inside Toyland

Inequality in the workplace

"Inside Toyland" discusses the differences of race, ethnicity, class, and gender in two different types of toystores. Diamond Toys is for more affluent classes, with mostly white women working. In the Toy Wearhouse, there were more African-American workers, but they were only in the back. Men were the managers.

In my workplace, I don't see too much inequality, as I am the only worker. I babysit for a middle-class family and can still see elements of inequality. Their mom talks about who they prefer to have babysit, but usually in reference to age of the young adult babysitting. I've read about social inequality in regard to Nannies in the LA region. Affluent families tended to hire Hispanic women at low wages to work and clean for them. They were not treated well, and had little respect. In my job, the family treats me well, respects me, and is very flexible. As I take the girls places, I see how their preferences of middle class products play out. They don't like McDonalds. They also like to be a part of decisions, thus reflecting the middle-class child rearing techiniques of concerted cultivation discussed by Lareau in "Unequal Childhoods."

No comments:

Post a Comment